University of Sussex – Institute of Development Sussex (IDS)
MA in Poverty and Development
Poverty, Policy and Programmes: Issues in Social Policy (2013-2014)
4. Reading List
Session 1: Introduction
- Barrientos, Armando. 2010. Social Protection and Poverty.
- UNRISD. 2010. Combating Poverty and Inequality, Structural Change, Social Policy and Politics.
Session 2: Introduction to Policy Analysis
- Hill, M. 2009. Chapter 1. in The Public Policy Process
- Lipsky, M. 2010. Chapter 1. in Street Level Bureaucracy: Dilemmas of the Individual in Public Services.
- McGregor, J.A. 2004. Researching Wellbeing: Communicating between the Needs of Policy Makers and the Needs of People.
Session 3: Monitoring and Evaluating Poverty Policy Programmes
- Del Ninno, Carlo et al. 2013. Improving Payment Mechanisms in Cash-Based Safety Net Programs.
- Devereux, S. et al. 2013. Evaluating Outside the Box: An Alternative Framework for Analysing Social Protection Programmes.
Session 4: What do we mean by social protection (3Ps and Transformative SP)
- Gentilini, Ugo and Steven Were Omamo. 2011. Social protection 2.0: Exploring issues, evidence and debates in a globalizing world.
- Sabates-Wheeler, R and Devereux, S. 2008. Transformative Social Protection: The Currency of Social Justice. in Social Protection for the Poor and Poorest: Concepts, Policies and Politics.
Session 5: Social protection instruments and Design
- Devereux, S. & Macauslan, I. 2006. Review of Social Protection Instruments in Malawi: A Desk Study for DFID Malawi.
- Devereux, S. et al. Vulnerability and Social Protection in Malawi.
- HLPE on Food Security and Nutrition of CFS. 2012. Social protection for food security.
Session 6: Targeting and Graduation
- Sabates-Wheeler, R. and Devereux, S. 2011. Transforming Livelihoods for Resilient Futures: How to Facilitate Graduation in Social Protection Programmes.
- Slater, R. and Farrington, J. 2009. Targeting of social transfers: a review for DFID.
Session 7: Nutrition and Health Policy
- Meeker, Jessica, et al. 2013. Nutrition Topic Guide.
- Ruel, Marie T, & Alderman, Harold. 2013. Nutrition-sensitive interventions and programmes: how can they help to accelerate progress in improving maternal and child nutrition?
- Leroy, Jef L, et al. 2009. The impact of conditional cash transfer programmes on child nutrition: a review of evidence using a programme theory framework.
- Alderman, H . 2013. Social Protection and Nutrition.
- Devereux, S. 2013. Is social protection an effective toolkit for addressing undernutrition?
- Masset, Edoardo, et al. 2012. Effectiveness of agricultural interventions that aim to improve nutritional status of children: systematic review.
- Webb, Patrick. 2013. Impact Pathways from Agricultural Research to Improved Nutrition and Health: Literature Analysis and Research Priorities. Expert Paper prepared for Second International Conference on Nutrition.
- Van den Bold. 2013. Women’s Empowerment and Nutrition An Evidence Review.